Wednesday, December 26, 2018

[Anime] My Sister, My Writer [Review/Rant]

I sit hunched over this keyboard, eyes bloodshot, and on my second cup of coffee. My mind trying to cope with the cacophony of vexation coming from my monitor as I try to find the right words to describe what I'm witnessing. The only thing I can say is that it is soulless, thoughtless, and devoid of any humor so much so that watching my fingernails grow would've been more entertaining than having to sit through this pile of shit...

Four hours later...

Ore ga Suki wa Imouto dake... Actually, for the rest of this review and for the sake of my brain cells (however many are still remaining) I'm just gonna refer to it as "that imouto anime". "That imouto anime" is like your typical imouto anime but in all the worst ways possible. Adapted from the light novel series by a team of people clearly high on paint thinners, "that imouto anime" has the same appeal as a stale saltine. Poor animation, horrible characters, and nonsensical plot are only a few of the things "that imouto anime" does that makes me want to throw myself into the nearest oncoming traffic.

"That imouto anime" begins with Yuu and his little sister Suzuka who are both light novelist which immediately gave off Eromanga-sensei vibes except it's the sister who is the successful author. And whereas that show was actually decent and visually appealing this one was like watching a flaming propane truck crash into an orphanage.

After losing some light novel contest to his little sister Suzuka, Yuu for whatever reason takes her place as the author I guess to protect her reputation or some shit like that. Honestly, the plot so all over the place or non-existent at all that thinking about it makes my head hurt. Kiss x Sis had more of a story than this. The only tangible thing in this show that you would call a plot is that Suzuka tries to confess her love for her onii but because Yuu is so thickheaded bro passes it off as story ideas.

Yuu is like every male archetype in these types of anime except without any of the personality or humor. Watching him makes me physically hurt, like pissing razor wire. 

Suzuka is the only character that has what you could call a personality. If that personality happened to be a bipolar patient off their meds. Sometimes she a tsundere and other times she's deredere with a splash of dandere here and there. Just pick a fuckin character type and stick with it already.

The rest of the supporting cast doesn't fare any better. They're the most cookie cutter female archetypes I've ever seen in a harem. For supporting characters, they really don't do much supporting or development outside of sexually harassing our MC.

Even the ecchi scenes come off unappealing to the eyes due to the lackluster animation. It looks like an early 2000s anime but in all the wrong ways. Character movements are sometimes awkward and facial expressions give me that uncanny valley level of uneasiness. It looks like the cast is staring off into space half the time.

"That imouto anime" doesn't work on any level. It was created with the pure intent of pandering to the lowest common denominator. I could go into more detail but what's the point? If you've seen shows like "A Sister's All You Need", "I Don't Like You at All, Big Brother", "Oreimo" then this adds nothing new to the genre outside of causing pain and misery. It's no wonder why this is one of the worst animes of 2018. The only good thing I can say about this show is the opening and ending themes.

I hope that the people at NAZ and Magia Doraglier can pull themselves out of this one.         

No comments:

Post a Comment

[Anime][Review] [First Impression] Gotoubun no Hanayome

What is up, everybody? Today I wanted to take a look at an anime that I am finding to be a pretty nice addition to the harem genre, and afte...