Tuesday, January 15, 2019

[Anime][Review] The Ancient Magus' Bride


How's everybody doing? I hope that your new year is going off without a hitch. As for me, I've been on a non-stop animeathon trying to get these reviews out to you all. So today we're going to be looking at another anime from the dark fantasy genre that I highly recommend that you check out if you haven't already.




Maho Tsukai no Yome or The Ancient Magus' Bride is the story of 15-year-old Japanese girl Chise Hatori who decides to put herself up for auction after her family and society have pretty much given up on her. She then meets a man like creature named Elias Ainsworth a being who possesses the head of an animal skull. After purchasing Chise for a whopping five million pounds he takes her back to his home where he explains that he wants her to be his apprentice and hopefully one day his bride. Chise also learns that she is a Sleigh Beggy; a type of mage that can harness almost unlimited magic from herself and the world around her but this puts a profusion of strain on her body causing her to pass out whenever she uses too much magic. This also shortens her life span giving her only three years left to live due to her constant absorption of magic.

Throughout the series, Chise learns to harness her abilities through varies methods with the help of Elias and several other characters they meet throughout the show. Elias also tries to find a way to prevent Chise from dying thus giving her trinkets that suppress her intake of magic till he can find a cure.

Now that I got that quick summary out of the way lets talk about what I really enjoyed so far with this anime. I'm gonna try to keep this as spoiler free as possible so let us begin.

One thing that really got me was the environments throughout the series. One of the major things when it comes to fantasy, in my opinion, is worldbuilding. As the story progresses we are introduced to many different settings. Each one is well detailed and feels really immersive. I love the feeling of being part of the world rather than just an observer.

The animation is also really well done. Again worldbuilding is an important component when it comes to telling a fantasy tale and with that, the artwork should also accompany that aspect and this anime does a really good job of giving life to this world.

The characters, for the most part, are pretty well written. nothing too spectacular but also nothing too unrealistic either. I do like characters that I can relate to because it allows me to connect to them more. Chise's loneliness and search to be part of something that she can call a family makes want to root for her seeing as she was cast aside from her own family.

Elias's character is something that I also enjoyed. His constant over protection and emotional unintelligence is something that I found quite entertaining. It also gives way to some comedic moments that break away from the consistent melancholy throughout the series as he tries to understand Chise's feelings.

The supporting cast is really good bunch themselves. None of them feel like throwaway characters that are just there to tell our main heroine that everything is gonna be alright. Each one has their own backstories and personalities that make them unforgettable.

Overall I thought this was a pretty damn good anime. It has its problems here and there but they never got in the way of me enjoying this show.

If you're looking for a nice fantasy anime to get engrossed in then I highly recommend checking this one out right now. You won't regret it.

See you in the next post. Peace.

Synopsis video provided by - Time's Up Entertainment
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNj6atR23CmPKU44bESHBwg           

No comments:

Post a Comment

[Anime][Review] [First Impression] Gotoubun no Hanayome

What is up, everybody? Today I wanted to take a look at an anime that I am finding to be a pretty nice addition to the harem genre, and afte...