Monday, January 14, 2019

[Anime][Review] Handa-kun

Handa-kun is one of those comedies that shows it has potential but can't seem to figure itself out. Now, before I begin I should tell you that I've never seen Barakamon; the original show this anime is based on. All I know is that Handa-kun is a prequel that takes place during Seishu Handa's high school years. For this review, I'm only gonna be focusing on Handa-kun itself and seeing what I think and if it's worth checking out.


One thing I have to tell you is that this comedy only has one running gag throughout almost the entire show. Handa is an introvert that has the perception that everyone in school hates him when in reality everyone adores him to the levels of utter insanity. In one episode a girl threatens to kill herself over a fucking eraser he let her borrow. And that's how pretty much every character is in this anime. Just Handa obsessed maniacs who worship a man for pretty much no real reason. There's also a group known as the Handa Force consisting of, Tsutsui Akane, Nikaidou Reo, Aizawa Junichi, and Kondou Yukio who, all but one, are just Handa obsessed fanboys. Every minute of their screen time is dedicated to them, what else, misunderstanding Handa with an occasional word from the straight man of the group, Yukio, who is one of the few characters in this anime that I actually like. Aside from the overused repetition of misunderstandings, the humor in this anime was pretty well written. I did get a laugh from some of the side characters such as a creepy librarian and a yandere character type just to name a couple.

Also speaking of side characters, that's pretty much how Handa is treated throughout the entire anime. For an anime called Handa-kun there really isn't much focus on Handa himself. Most of the show is focused on the Handa Force more then Handa himself thus a lot of the humor in this anime is from the reactions from Handa's classmates rather than the other way around. Again this did give me some chuckles here and there but the repetition of misunderstandings did start to wear on me halfway through the show. Like I said before the supporting cast in this anime doesn't have much personality outside of obsessing over Handa which, in turn, causes him problems. The only real friend Handa has is his childhood friend named Takao Kawafuji who knows about Handa's popularity, but decides to keep it a secret from him.

Like most slice of life anime, there isn't any real plot. It's just about the daily high school life of Handa-kun as he struggles to make friends even though ironically everyone loves him.

The animation was pretty good. Some of the facial expressions and characters reactions had me snickering.

Can't really say much about the music in this one. The intro was alright but the rest of the soundtrack just sounded like the type of stuff you would hear on a royalty-free site.

Overall I still would recommend this anime. If you can look past the overused joke some of the humor in this anime is pretty damn funny even if the show doesn't focus much on the supposed main character Handa. Even if you haven't seen the original anime this show is based on, such as myself, I still found this pretty entertaining. If you have, then tell me if you enjoyed this spin-off series or not. I'd love to hear your guys opinions.

See you in the next post. Peace.

Synopsis video provided by - Time's Up Entertainment
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNj6atR23CmPKU44bESHBwg

No comments:

Post a Comment

[Anime][Review] [First Impression] Gotoubun no Hanayome

What is up, everybody? Today I wanted to take a look at an anime that I am finding to be a pretty nice addition to the harem genre, and afte...