Tuesday, January 22, 2019

[Anime][Review] Canaan

What up homies and homettes. Welcome back to another TBO review. Today we're going to be looking at Canaan; an anime from studio P.A.Works, which was based a scenario written by Kinoko Nasu and Takashi Takeuchi for the popular visual novel 428: Shibuya Scramble.



Before I begin I'd like to give a big thanks to my homie over at Time's Up Entertainment for providing the synopsis video for this review. After you're finished with this review be sure to head on over to his Youtube channel to check out his Anime 101 series where every Tuesday he provides synopsis videos for two different animes of the same category. It's a great way for you to discover new anime that you haven't seen yet or if you want a short description of an anime that you're thinking about watching. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNj6atR23CmPKU44bESHBwg

Now that introductions are out the way let's begin the review.

Like I said at the beginning of this post, Canaan is based to the visual novel 428: Shibuya Scramble. This anime takes place 2 years after the events of 428. Here we meet two of our main characters, Maria Osawa and Minoru Minorikawa, two reporters from Japan who are sent out to report on an anti-terrorist conference in Shanghai.

During their visit, they are nearly gunned by two masked gunmen until they are saved by our titular character Canaan, a mercenary and assassin, who is also an old friend of Maria.

It is revealed that the assassins sent to kill Maria and Minoru were part of a terrorist organization known as Snake who is lead by another assassin and rival of Canaan's named Alphard.

As the story unfolds we are revealed the intentions of Snake and learn more about the history behind the relationship between Canaan and Maria.

What really got me with this anime was the relationship between our two protagonist Canaan and Maria. Not having anyone else since the death of her parents Maria is pretty much the only friend that Canaan has. Their shared history and deep bond they have is also one of the main focuses of the anime which creates some really heartwarming moments throughout the series.

The action in this anime is also something that I really enjoyed. GWG is something that I always welcome and with its fast-paced nature and high energy it gets my blood pumpin every time I see Canaan dukin it out with someone. There's never a dull moment with these scenes and they always keep me on my toes.

The story is aight. Nothing too spectacular just your typical good vs evil scenario but with just enough substance to keep me wanting to see what happens next. I really loved its real-world look on terrorism that doesn't go too into the realm of the unrealistic and keeps me engaged the entire ride.

Music in this anime is also something that I was too impressed with although I really did enjoy the intro as it is one of the few intro songs that I don't skip over when I go to watch the next episode. It gets me pumped up for whatever is about to go down.

The animation of Canaan was a big plus to me. Very well detailed and smooth it made every action scene in this picture look that much more awesome.

Character development in this series is something that I was really impressed with and is pretty much one of the main focuses throughout Canaan. Most of the attention is focused mostly on the relationship between Canaan and Maria seeing as how they've had a long history together prior to the events of this anime. Again there are a lot of touching moments between these two that tbh almost had me welling up inside. The only problem that I can say I have is that Canaan's character hardly ever shows any real emotion which I can kinda understand due to her situation, but it also makes her a pretty boring person. Luckily Maria's high energy makes up for this. Alphard was also someone I really enjoy too. At first, I thought she was just gonna be a mindless terrorist just killing people for some sick thrill but she actually has her own motivations for the things she does and is shown to have a cold calculating demeanor that makes her the perfect threat.

Overall I thought this anime was pretty good. If you love GWG action or if you're looking for something with really nice character development I'd give this one a shot.

See you all in the next post. Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment

[Anime][Review] [First Impression] Gotoubun no Hanayome

What is up, everybody? Today I wanted to take a look at an anime that I am finding to be a pretty nice addition to the harem genre, and afte...